Saturday, July 26, 2008

First Week at Work

So these are some pictures of my new office and of my first assignment. My office is in South Jordan at 11800 South and 5222 West. I work for Kennecott Land, who is responsible for developing the Daybreak site for homes. I work under the Safety Superintendant who was gone on Thursday and Friday of this week, which left me overseeing my first project. (see below)















A major feature of the Daybreak site is it's man-made lake that flows serenely through the neighborhood and provides fishing, peddle boating, and cannoning. This lake is fed by water that is pumped in by two 5000 lb. pumps. These pumps will each push 4000 gallons a minute into the lake. When one of them failed this week, it became a big priority to get it fixed. My job was to ensure that Kennecott Land’s Safety protocols were followed and most importantly, that no one got injured during the critical lifting of the 2.5 ton pump motor.


















Once the pump motor was out we had to pull the actual impelers out since it was believed that they were causing the problems with the motor. It took a long time but eventually we got the whole thing safely lifted and set outside where they could be worked on. No one got hurt and there were no close calls which makes it a good day for the guy in charge of safety (and everyone else too).


And we couldn't live in Utah and not celebrate pioneer day. Andrea and I lite off some fire works just for fun. I found two of the longest sparklers I've ever seen. I think they were about four feet long. Andrea is pictured below displaying them.






No comments: